Easy Retro Ornament From Paper Scraps



Each year we make some sort of hand crafted ornament from paper.  I try to keep them simple so that my small children can participate.  This year I decided to make a retro-style ornament from 1/2 strips of paper left over from other projects.  You'll need seven strips for the ornament on the right, and five strips of paper for the ornament on the left.  I used the Pear & Partridge paper from Close To My Heart.

 

For the seven-strip ornament, cut the smallest strip at 3.5 inches long, two strips at 4 inches long, two strips at 4.5 inches long, and two strips at 5 inches long.  Set them out as shown.  The is the order in which to glue them together.


Tools needed:  adhesive, paper piercing tool, and micro-tip scissors.


Using just a small (about 1/2 inch) of adhesive on the end of each paper, begin to stack the strips from largest to smallest...


...and back up to the largest.  Your little stack of papers will look something like this.  Poke a hole at the bottom and put in a brad to hold it all together.
 

I used cranberry brads and baker's twine for my ornament.  Green brads and baker's twine would have looked just fine, too.


Next, line up the tops of all the paper strips and glue them together.  Poke a hole, string through the baker's twine and add a brad.  Ornament done.  (Tip:  I used the point of my micro-tip scissors to make the top hole big enough for the baker's twine.)


This is me, walking to the Christmas tree to hang my ornament.  I love Christmastime.  This photo feels so festive.  Yes, that is a Santa hat and a paper airplane on the top of the tree.  The children were 100% in charge of decorating the tree this year.


My children made the 5-strip ornaments (like the one on the left) because the were a little easier to work with. 


For the five strips, cut one strip at 4 inches long, two strips at 4.5 inches long, and two more at 5 inches long.  Assemble in the same manner as shown for the seven-strip ornament.


 
The patterned papers from Close To My Heart are perfect for this type of project because there is a unique design on each side of the paper.  So no matter which way you turn the ornament, it looks great!  Here is one side of an ornament...


...and here is the other side.  A totally different look.


Here is my son's retro-style ornament.  He chose the green brads and baker's twine, plus a little extra dash of bling.

Merry Christmas and happy crafting!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP